There are also a bunch of FANCY new hotels in downtown Durham if you’re looking for something a bit nicer than the two hotels above (or an upgrade from the Carolina Duke Inn that we’re not even going to link because we don’t recommend it, but we know some of you are die-hards) – you can have your choice between:
21C Museum Hotel (Art Deco bank tower designed by the same architects who did the Empire State Building)
111 Corcoran Street, Durham, NC 27701 | 919-956-6700
The Durham Hotel (mid-century heaven, rooftop bar with amazing view)
315 E. Chapel Hill Street, Durham, NC 27701 | 919-768-8830
Unscripted Durham (mid-century heaven, rooftop bar with pool)
202 N Corcoran St, Durham, NC 27701 | 984-329-9500
The Marriott City Centre (the cheapest hotel downtown — near most of the activities)
201 Foster Street, Durham, North Carolina 27701 | 919-768-6000
RESTAURANT AND BAR RECOMMENDATIONS
- *The Atomic Fern (108 E. Parrish St): Social club/bar owned by Incriminator President Kevin Slater. RALLY SPONSOR
- Arcana (331 W. Main Street, Durham, NC. Our entrance is in the back of the Snow building, located at approximately 150 Ramseur, just a few doors to the right of Toast and Criterion’s back doors, and one door to the left of Viceroy’s back door): Arcana provides a cozy, comfortable, intimate bar space, with a New Orleans-meets-Prague Art Noveau style. We not only offer delicious wines, craft beers, and modern cocktails, but we’re also true to our name, highlighting the arcana of herbalism through a drink menu that uses herbs and an extensive collection of liqueurs. Arcana is a space for artists, live performances, theater, dance, intimate conversation, and unwinding.
- Bar Virgile (105 S. Mangum St): Handmade snacks and artfully crafted cocktails.
- Boruca Soul (406 Blackwell St #150): Afro-Caribbean soul food at its best.
- Bull City Burger and Brewery (107 E. Parrish St): Microbrewery serving locally raised beef burgers.
- Bullocks Barbecue (3330 Quebec Dr): Serving locals and celebrities hearty BBQ and sides since 1952.
- COPA (107 W. Main St): A little slice of Old Havana, right in Durham.
- Dain’s Place (754 9th St): Great beer and pub food.
- Dashi (415 E. Chapel Hill St): Japanese ramen shop and Japanese pub.
- The Durham (315 E. Chapel Hill St): Fancy dining with one of the best views in the city, from atop a spectacular mid-century bank building.
- The Federal (914 W. Main St): Bar with an abundant beer list, updated pub grub, and outdoor tables.
- Geer St. Garden (644 Foster St): Comfort food, beers, and cocktails in a renovated former gas station.
- Gonza Tacos y Tequila (604 Fernway Ave): Outstanding Latin American fare and tequila selection. The best nachos in the world.
- Guglhupf Cafe (2706 Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd): German biergarten and bakery. Do your wurst.
- *The Green Room (1108 Broad Street): Bar with pool tables and darts. RALLY SPONSOR
- Hutchin’s Garage (402 W Geer St): Pizza, Sandwiches, Pasta, Beer, Wine, Drink.
- Luna Rotisserie and Empanadas (112 W. Main St). South American meets American South.
- M Kokko (311 Holland Street #B): Experimental Asian fusion speakeasy.
- Pad Thai (2425 Guess Rd): Casual Thai restaurant.
- *Parker and Otis (112 S. Duke St): Cafe serving breakfast, sandwiches & coffee, with a gourmet food & wine market. RALLY SPONSOR
- Pie Pushers (117 W. Main St., upstairs): pizza pies or by the slice, conveniently located above The Pinhook, with a late night walk up window for take-out. You may also run into their food truck around town.
- The Pinhook (117 W. Main St): Casual bar and music venue.
- Pompieri Pizza (102 City Hall Plaza, Suite 101). Wood-fired pies, plus craft beer & cocktails.
- Saigon Grill (2929 N. Roxboro St). Vietnamese food in a casual atmosphere.
- Saltbox Seafood Joint (608 N. Mangum St). Fish stand serving local, seasonal seafood.
- Taquería La Vaquita (2700 Chapel Hill Rd): Tacos, tortas and other Mexican dishes.
- Toast Paninoteca (345 W. Main St). Italian sandwich shop.
- Track their locations at http://www.bullcityfoodtrucks.com.
WHERE TO BUY BEER/LIQUOR/CIGARS
- ABC Stores (2806 Hillsborough Rd, 3318 Guess Rd, 1928 Holloway St): By state law, the only place to buy liquor.
- Beer Durham (404 Hunt St, Suite 110): Craft beer store
- Beer Study/Starpoint Brewing (2501 University Dr): Brewpub and bottle shop.
- Bull City Burger and Brewery (107 E Parrish St): Restaurant and craft brewery.
- Bull City Cigar Co. (714 Ninth St., Suite G9): Cigars hand-rolled in Durham.
- Clouds Brewing (905 W Main St. #22): Local brewery and gastropub.
- Durham Distillery (711 Washington St): Handcrafted gin and liqueurs.
- *Durty Bull Brewing Company (206 Broadway St. #104): Craft brewery. RALLY SPONSOR
- Food Lion (2930 W Main St and other locations): Cheapest place to buy PBR.
- Fullsteam Brewery (726 Rigsbee Ave): Beer made with locally farmed ingredients.
- The Glass Jug Beer Lab (5410 NC Highway 55): Brewery and bottle shop.
- Harris Teeter (1802 N Pointe Dr and 3457 Hillsborough Rd): Supermarket with a decent beer selection.
- Hi-Wire Brewing (800 Taylor St, #9-150): Transplants from western NC.
- The Northern Spy (2812 Erwin Rd #104): Damned carpetbaggers with a wide selection of bottles and cans.
- Ponysaurus Brewing Company (219 Hood St): Brewery and taproom.
- Sam’s Bottle Shop (1112 NC Highway 54): Beer specialty store with a huge selection.
- Triangle Brewing Company (918 Pearl St): Craft brewery.
- Whole Foods (621 Broad St): Feel smug about giving your whole paycheck to our Amazonian overlords.
For even more suggestions, visit the Durham Visitor’s Bureau website!